Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Time to hold my tongue (or keyboard in this case)

One of our Pastors recently released a video on YouTube. It was a very impactful video and very well done. However, I found myself not completely agreeing with his basic premise.

I said to myself, "I should write a blog about the topic." Well a couple of days went by without having the opportunity to write about it, and upon further reflection this was fortunate.

Here are some reasons why you shouldn't blog about what your Pastor has said, or written (unless of course it is in a very positive vein.)

  1. You risk undermining the message and/or the authority of the Pastor.
  2. Most don't look favourably on disputing with a Pastor in a public place, and you can't get more public than the Internet.
  3. Pastors need our support so much more than they need our criticism. You should always aim to withhold your criticism unless it is absolutely necessary.
  4. God may have given your Pastor a vision that is different than the one you have for the church. God has placed him there to lead, so follow!
  5. Just because you disagree doesn't mean that the Pastor is wrong.
  6. Encouragement should be frequent and often public. Criticism should only be constructive, and if at all possible be private.

Someday I may choose to blog about this, as yet unspoken, topic. When I do however, it won't be in the context of responding to what my Pastor has written. Pastors need and deserve our encouragement and support, not our criticism.

No comments: